Monday, June 30, 2008

The beginning


Ok so here it is. For those who don't know, I have been out of the music business for a year and a half. I was doing well...no scratch that...I was doing great until some things came up that I had to take care of and I had to go underground for a little bit. One of these days, when the present isnt so busy and when I have time to catch my breath, I will tell you a fascinating story about my first foray into the business. It is the story told by a million others before me. Most of these stories end with someone being strung up and destitute or at the very least, with someone leaving town and moving into retail sales or something. Mine is a lot more interesting then that. Forgive me though, I am a talker so let me get back on track!

When I left New York City, It was a heart breaking thing because I had come into the city with big dreams and had begun to realize them. In a very brief time I had been able to sell music to major labels and get a publishing deal! This was the stuff of dreams as far as I was concerned. That being said, you can imagine then how devastating it was to realize one day that, although my career was progressing nicely, their was people who needed me and me running around NY working 19 hours a day wasnt working. So I left.

It was easy to do at first. I thought that I may be gone for no more than a couple of months or so. Those couple of months turned into half a year and then an entire year. I was having to learn quickly that the real world does not accept dreams as currency. All told, I was out for 2 years! So Finally here I am...here WE are, ready to put down our heads and push forward again. Although I have been here before, and accomplished a lot, I cannot help but wonder....How the hell will this turn out???

So Im back! And back like a mutha******! Our music is bigger, better, more accessible then before. I know the business inside and out. I know what to say..know what to do..know what moves to make. I know the shcmooze, the industry hustle, the rat race. I know more then just about anyone..but yet, I sit here now, just as nervous as I was the very first time I walked into a music meeting!

I am nervous because we are getting ready to start again. I am not nervous because of the music. The music is incredible. The world embraces good music. That being said, I believe that people will be moved by the shit we write. But how much has changed since I last took a meeting? A lot from what I can tell. For example, All my old A&R Friends have done the A&R shuffle. Kwan Prathers has left Sony Urban. So has Ampora. I have no Idea where Dino Diavalle went. The man who got me my publishing deal at EMI, Lenny Santiago from Def Jam is still there, but since Jay Z left, how long will he be? I can list every label and tell you of 10 different A&R's who have left or been fired. There are still some, but these 2 years have been unkind to the music biz. So who are we going to see?

We will see very soon. I am ready to go! My brother left for New York This morning to meet with our attorney. Later on this evening he is going ot Def jam to meet with a good friend of mine Steve Carless. This is just an opening salvo. Right now everybody in the business is basically out of town for the Holidays. After the 4rth of July, we will begin our summer blitz. EVERYONE is going to see the Black Irishmen. We have some momentum because the Missy record (Ching a Ling) has done so well. Most importantly though, I am really proud of the music. I can't wait!

I invite you to follow us. Im going to bring you, as a reader to every meeting. I want you to experience every victory and every defeat. Im not exactly certain how this will turn out..We will not be satisfied until our legacy equals that of our hero's (Neptunes, Timbaland, ect)

But no matter how it turns out, it will most certainly be a good story..keep reading!!!!!!!


No comments: