Thursday, June 26, 2008

mpc versus reason???



Last March I went to the Emi writers convention. Its a great experience. Big Jon Platt has signed some of the greatest producers in the biz right now. I was able to hang out with Dj Toomp, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, Rodney Jerkins to name a few. When ever Im around people who I respect or am a fan of, I always like to pick their brains about some of the tools that they use.I am for the most part, pretty resistant to to new technologies, which sucks because once I actually try something new, I always come away wondering why I hadnt tried it sooner. Paul, however is a real tech head. He know about all the new shit way before I ever even get the courage to come out of my comfort zone. I guess it is because I am of the opinion that ultimately, It is not the technology that determines hot amazing your music is, it is your ideas.That being said, I struck up a conversation with a bunch of producers at the table that morning. To my chagrin the consensus began to emerge that software based sequencing was superior in many ways to the mpc! The more people talked the more I began to think that perhaps I had missed the boat on something. As is the case with most producers that I know, both Paul and I are big fans of the Akai Mpc series. I cannot tell you how many big ass, beat you across the head and shoulders, "oh my god did you hear that shit", tracks I have made on my good ol mpc! It has, over the years grown to be worshipped by many as a legendary, if not deified piece of equipment. It is in many ways, a dream box. It translates all of the great ideas in your head into something you can hear. Her sequencing is still, to me, almost TOO perfect. I could of course go on forever, but I probably sound like a nerd at this point so let me fall back a little.Just imagine then, how weird it was for me to sit there and listen to all of these great producers talk about reasons software with the same passion that I talk about the mpc! As time passed, 2 camps began to form at the table. One that was pro mpc, and one that was pro reason. The members of the pro reason camp spoke excitedly about how convenient reason was, and much better it was then what they described as the "old school" Mpc. This was disturbing to us in the Mpc camp. I mean we too felt passionately about our gear, but no one wants to be seen as "old school" or unevolved. So to avoid looking like dinosaurs, we just nodded our heads and looked on with a scientific detachment, pretending like nothing that they said was a surprise to us. I sat there hoping that I looked un fazed, but inside we were all being eaten alive by doubt. Was the Mpc the past? Did we indeed have to step up to something else? Would we become the music business version of the old man who still writes letters to his family own a typewriter? Would we be the vhs tape to their dvd? All I knew was this.......I was going to find out.Now I exagerate sometime. I was not nearly as intimidated as it may seem. See, When it comes to music production, I know my shit. I am a hell of a writer. There isnt any one in the business who can come up with melodies like my brother and I. But in order to stay in touch with things, you always gotta keep your ears open. Keep ears open for new sounds, new technologies. I have used other computer programs for sequencing like sonar or acid and have found them to be toys. Of course as any one who records knows, the digidesign pro tools format has reigned supreme for years. But that is just for tracking. I am wondering though if there is any advantage to making a swith.No one can convince me that I will be a better producer by switching to a software based sequencing program. Everything that I need to produce heaters is in between my ears. But I am attracted to the convenience that reason and logic provide. Any one out there, what are your thoughts? Have you made the switch? What are the benefits? What are the disadvantages?This battle will continue for years to come im sure! No matter what I choose to use though, you can expect the black irishmen to deliver you some serious heat!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've used Reason since day one. But I did play with the Korn Triton off and on but Reason is my slave. Going on 7yrs.

-Banks Beats